I love to do crafts and have cute handouts and activities for church (and school, and friends, and - well you get the idea). I don't consider myself creative, but often use the help of others' talents. I decided to share what I'm doing for others just like me. It may be a link to where I found something or it might even be something *I* created. Right now I work as a paraprofessional at my kids' elementary - in special ed (autism). I started creating items for my 3rd graders this year and can't wait to share them with you. I am the 1st counselor in YW (first time in YW is this past year). I also have ideas for cub scouts and sunbeams posted, my previous callings.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Teacher Appreciation Idea #1


I know this may be too late for some, but hopefully a few of you can use it.  If not save it for the end of year gift or bookmark it for next year.  I wasn't going to post it because I want it to be a secret and I know that someone may be checking out the blog that is receiving it (Kari/Cathy if you are reading this don't continue!).  It is turning out cute so I think I'm going to post it anyway.  I'm making these for the teachers that I work for with the help of the kids in my class.   
First you need to buy some of those terra cotta pots along with the base (they are usually sold separately), a bowl - that will fit on the bottom of it (see picture), a wooden knob, and candy to fill the bowl.  I didn't take pictures of the pot before it was painted, but hopefully you get the idea.  Here is a picture off the Internet if you have no idea what I'm talking about:
Here is the pot and base right side up (these pots are actually brown instead of the orange/red color they normally are).  I chose the darker color because I thought it would be easier to paint:


The bowl:

The knobs:


I'm also using super glue (I wasn't sure that the glue gun would hold):

First turn the pot upside down.  I painted the small bottom part green and the top part blue.  If you can paint you could add details like grass, but that isn't one of my talents so it is solid green and blue.  Turn the base upside down as well and paint it blue.
Once it is dry it is time to take it to the classroom.  The hard part is doing it when the teacher isn't around.  In my case I found out when she knew she would be out and I brought in the supplies.  Using my acrylic paints and the kids' index finger we made fingerprint art.  We made lots of flowers, bees, lady bugs, a couple caterpillars and a butterfly.  I wrote their name and details on it with a sharpie.


I brought it home and sprayed it with a glossy clear finish.  Next I attached the bowl with the super glue.  The base will become the lid:



I still need to paint it (just purchased the knobs today) but the knob will go on top: 



Then I'm going to fill it with candy.  I bought gumballs (actually they are from Easter so they are more egg shaped) to fill it with.  I'll let the kids give it to the teachers on Tuesday.  Teacher Appreciation week is always the first week of May, but Teacher Appreciation day is always on Tuesday.  Once it is complete I promise to post another picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear your comments. It is great to know that others are reading your blog (to know that your time was well spent) and to know what they think of it. I welcome your ideas, suggestions, comments, questions! Please also consider becoming a follower if you haven't already.