I love to do crafts and have cute handouts and activities for church (and school, and friends, and - well you get the idea). I don't consider myself creative, but often use the help of others' talents. I decided to share what I'm doing for others just like me. It may be a link to where I found something or it might even be something *I* created. Right now I work as a paraprofessional at my kids' elementary - in special ed (autism). I started creating items for my 3rd graders this year and can't wait to share them with you. I am the 1st counselor in YW (first time in YW is this past year). I also have ideas for cub scouts and sunbeams posted, my previous callings.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Candy Land Birthday Party

My oldest decided that she wanted a Candy Land Birthday Party.  Last year we almost played a live board game, but since we don't have a driveway it didn't seem feasible.  This year we are going to try that out Candy Land style (but indoors)!  First we started with the invitations.  I got the idea here:
http://katherinemariephotography.com/blog/archives/2720
First I bought a 12 pack of Altoids at Costco.  My daughter emptied and cleaned them and then I took them outside to spray paint.  I had some pink spray paint left over so that is what I used.  It ended up matching the Candy Land lettering quite well.  I opened them up and sprayed the outside.  I wasn't too worried if it completely covered the edges because I didn't want them difficult to open.  I almost took some sandpaper to them (to help hide the part that wasn't completely pink), but my daughter liked them the way they were.  If I had more spray paint I would've done the inside as well.  I wasn't planning on it, but I didn't realize the Altoids was raised so you can see it from the inside.  And the fact my daughter was put in charge of getting them ready and she didn't dry them as well as she thought and there were little rust marks (they rust very easy I recommend trying to just clean them out with a wipe) inside.
I used a picture online and added a little text to create the lid of the tin.  I cut them down (it was still a little larger than I wanted) and using a little mod podge they were adhered to the top.  


I didn't have old cards from the game to write the invitation on so I made my own.


I used the paper cutter and sliced them into cards.  They were then put inside the tins with some candy.




Once the party is over I'll post what we did.  I have so many ideas, but probably not enough time to get them all done.  Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fun.  Once I get some free time on my other computer I'll also add some printables in case you want to have your own Candy Land party!
Download the picture used on the tin here (made slight adjustment to say 'my' instead of my daughter's name plus it is a little smaller so it'll fit better).
Download blank Candy Land cards to write (type - it is a word document so you can edit it) your party information on here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear your comments. It is great to know that others are reading your blog (to know that your time was well spent) and to know what they think of it. I welcome your ideas, suggestions, comments, questions! Please also consider becoming a follower if you haven't already.