I love to do crafts and have cute handouts and activities for church (and school, and friends, and - well you get the idea). I don't consider myself creative, but often use the help of others' talents. I decided to share what I'm doing for others just like me. It may be a link to where I found something or it might even be something *I* created. Right now I work as a paraprofessional at my kids' elementary - in special ed (autism). I started creating items for my 3rd graders this year and can't wait to share them with you. I am the 1st counselor in YW (first time in YW is this past year). I also have ideas for cub scouts and sunbeams posted, my previous callings.

Friday, February 17, 2012

A Seussy Kind of Day

Since it is almost Dr. Suess' birthday and Read Across America day (March 2nd) I thought I should post what we did last year.
I had so many things to post (or so I thought, but a year later I don't remember).  I will post pictures of some of the things we did.
At school we dress as a Dr. Seuss character.  We aren't very original and use some common characters.  This year I might have to read a few more books, but for some reason Dr. Seuss is one that we don't have a lot of.
Boo was Cindy Lou Who:


My poor daughter (and myself) hardly has any hair so this hairstyle isn't the easiest, but with too much hair it may be hard too.  I rolled a piece of paper into a cone shape then lifted top section of her hair over it and put an elastic at the top (put it over the top of the cone too - it gives it a little more stability).  Leave enough hair at the top.  You are going to need to put in another elastic just a little way up and then curl it out in pieces.  The bottom half of the hair you split into two and braid it.  I also took some hair putty to separate out the bottom of the braid & curl up the pieces.
Bugs was thing two:



I just printed out a round sign saying Thing 2.  He wore all red and we used a colored spiking gel to dye his hair blue.

At home this was part of our dinner (not sure why it looks so yellow - doesn't look very appetizing, but it was!):


Green Eggs: just make some deviled eggs using your favorite recipe.  Mix some blue food coloring to the yolk and  you have green centers.
I also found these blue skies with white clouds.  I can't remember what book it is from nor were I found it (if you know leave me a comment):



To make these follow the instructions here (I loved them so much I used them for St. Patrick's day too.  I was able to use the left-over whipping cream). 
And for desert:


Yep, more green eggs.  A scoop of Lime Sherbet with whipping cream sprayed around it.


That sums up last year.  Guess I should figure out this year before it sneaks up like last time.






1 comment:

  1. ah, your kids are so cute dressed up as Dr. Seuss characters. My daughter is in kindergarten and this week her school is too celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday: Seussapalooza. Yesterday was a mix up day (which I forgot about and my daughter came off the bus with her coat on backwards) and today was "be cool" with sunglasses. Tomorrow is hair day and I can't wait to fix her hair.
    I just found your blog by googling Dr. Seuss character hairstyles. I'll be sure to check out the rest of your posts on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear your comments. It is great to know that others are reading your blog (to know that your time was well spent) and to know what they think of it. I welcome your ideas, suggestions, comments, questions! Please also consider becoming a follower if you haven't already.